Sunday, July 8, 2018

Discussion: Echo's CS-271T Top Handle Chainsaw



I think the power-to-weight ratio of chainsaws is a much overlooked metric because it doesn't matter how powerful a chainsaw is if you struggle to use it for more than 30 minutes without getting too tired. Yes, I can handle a chainsaw that's 12 or 15 pounds, but I can't handle them as well as I can something that weighs only 8 or 9 pounds. And taking that further, having a chainsaw that was only 5 or 6 pounds would be even better.

Therefore, I've always wanted a top handle chainsaw. I don't need one, but I think they're marvels of small engine engineering and have felt the urge to tinker with them.  I can technically afford to buy one, but since it would mostly be a shelf queen, there is no way I could justify spending that kind of money. One exception would be getting the chainsaw used.

I really wanted the Echo CS-2511T, which is the lightest chainsaw in North America. But since it was recently released, getting one used would be almost impossible. That left the CS-271T or CS-330T. I wasn't considering Stihl, given their prices and the fact that their cheapest top handle chainsaw was only about 1.5 pounds lighter than my MS 170.

About a week ago I stopped by my town's local pawn shop. I came across the above pictured chainsaw. I was told it was in good working order and they were asking for $159.99. It's a fair price (assuming it was in good working condition) and in line with eBay prices. However, I didn't want this chainsaw bad enough (I already has a Stihl MS 170) to pay fair market value. I knew I could negotiate them down to $140 and maybe $130, but that wasn't too likely, unless I could find something wrong with it. But I told myself that I didn't want to spend more than $110, so I put the chainsaw back on the shelf and walked away.

For the next few days I kept thinking about that chainsaw and how I could get the pawn shop to come down in price. I knew the chain needed sharpening and there was a chance it needed a new bar. I also knew the carb needed a rebuild since they said they sometimes have chainsaws sitting on the shelf for 6+ months with fuel in them. Then there's its really really dirty air filter that needed replacing. And given the chainsaw's age and condition, I bet it needed a new spark plug, fuel filter and bar oil filter. Ooh, and a new chain catch was required, too.

Ok, so now I could maybe bring them down to $110, so I went back to the shop. I found the chainsaw still there, but I noticed some new signs concerning a sale they were having. Basically everything in the store, including firearms and jewelry, were at least 10% off. And guess what? Tools, including chainsaws, were 50% off! I picked up the CS-271T right off the shelf, confirmed I would only have to pay $80 and agreed to take it. They offered to let me start it up and I obliged (I was going to buy it, even if it wouldn't start. It would be fun to get it back into good working order.).

It took a few extra pumps on the purge bulb, and perhaps 20 pulls total to get it started, but it ran (it also had decent compression). I also confirmed that the chain brake worked, too. The only problem was that the bar and chain weren't being oiled. But I knew it had no bar oil in it, so I didn't comment on it. And even if it needed a new oiler, for $80, this was a great price.

After taking it home, I put some oil in it, but it still didn't oil properly. Perhaps I need an new oiler, but it could very well be a clogged or blocked hole in the bar that takes 2 minutes to clean and fix. I did a few quick test cuts into some bucked wood I had in the backyard and it cut without bogging down (this confirmed that any piston scoring, if it existed, wasn't THAT bad), although the wood chips confirmed that some chain sharpening was in order.

I plan on fixing this up to excellent condition. I may even go all out and get new stickers for it. But the prices for new individual OEM parts are expensive, so I'll just keep my eye out for a donor or parts saw on eBay, yard sales and other cheap sources of tools.

A few more pics are below:



No comments:

Post a Comment